Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
- Ready In:
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 5 sticks celery, very finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter (butter if possible) or 2 ounces margarine (butter if possible)
- 1 lb wild mushroom, Chop mushrooms according to taste (if possible try to have different types, such as morel, chanterelle etc)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs or 1 tablespoon fresh mixed herbs, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1 ounce fresh parsley, chopped
- Fry the onions and celery in a heavy based pan, using the butter. Keep the heat low and fry for about 5 minutes in total. The onions should then be transparent and very soft.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until the juice runs out of the mushrooms. Do not adjust the heat, keeping it low will seal in the flavour of the mushrooms.
- Add in the herbs and basil. Next stir in the flour, making sure that you get rid of any lumps. If it is lumpy then beat vigorously. Cook for one minute, then add the stock and seasoning. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soured cream or yoghurt. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Return to the stove top and heat up to serving temperature, but be careful not to let it boil or this will spoil the flavour.
- Serve immediately (t is best served from the pan onto warmed plates, as opposed to transferring it into a serving dish).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)