Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have been making this recipe for so many years I cannot remember where it came from, but it is my favorite soup in the winter. It is delicious and my entire family loves it.
- 1 cup dried white bean, rinsed and picked over (such as Great Northern or cannellini)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onions
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced fennel or 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1⁄2 cup fine diced sun-dried tomato (use the dry ones and reconstitute them in some hot water for 10 minutes before chopping)
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Heat oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, fennel, garlic, pepper flakes and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and 7 cups stock.
- Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- (Can be made one day ahead and cover and refrigerate at this point).
- Bring to a simmer before continuing.
- Add pasta and tomatoes to soup.
- Cover partially and simmer until beans and pasta are very tender, adding up to 1 cup stock if too thick, about 15 minutes.
- Add parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Serve, passing cheese seperately.
I added 1 1/2 cups of diced tasso but you could use pancetta or even ham or bacon. It gave it a richness of flavor. I also recommend getting a good parmasan cheese like regianno, not the already grated kind. We loved it! This will become one of my staple winter soups.
I substitute whole wheat bow tie pasta to increase fiber. This is delicious.
This is the most wonderful soup that we've had in a long while. It's so flavorful. I add a little smoked bacon to it. I gave it to several people and the comments were the same. You have a winner here! Happyclip