Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the October 1995 issue of Midwest Living. Welliver's is a well-known restaurant in east central Indiana. Their buffet is something to behold, so I was very excited when I saw some of their recipes in the Midwest Living magazine several years ago.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter or margarine; add onions.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and chicken broth. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minutes more.
- Add cream. Cook and stir till heated through.
- Top with croutons, if desired.
This was a nice smooth soup. It was a little on the bland side, so I added some hot paprika and more pepper. I also added some red pepper flakes. It is very simple to make and was good on a cold winter day. I think this would be great with some shredded chicken added in too. Made and Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe tag - Thanks! :)