Recipe by Cynna
Or baked apples with sauerkraut to you! Delicious German side, posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
Top Review by jenilynn
Wonderful taste! I started out by cooking 5 slices of bacon in pan, then cooking onions in bacon grease. Cut bacon in small slices & added to pot. Needed a bit more brown sugar. This was just fabulous- don't think I'll ever have kraut any other way now!
- 946.0 ml sauerkraut
- 59.14 ml onion, sliced
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml bacon drippings
- 2-3 medium apples
- 354.88 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml beef stock or 118.29 ml bouillon
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain kraut slightly.
- Cook onion in butter or drippings until transparent.
- Add sauerkraut and stir; cook slowly.
- Wash, peel, and core apples; dice fruit and add to sauerkraut.
- Add wine and enough stock or bouillon to cover.
- Cook slowly, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and celery seeds; cover and finish cooking in moderate 325° oven 30 minutes longer.