Recipe by Cynna
Or baked apples with sauerkraut to you! Delicious German side, posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
Top Review by jenilynn
Wonderful taste! I started out by cooking 5 slices of bacon in pan, then cooking onions in bacon grease. Cut bacon in small slices & added to pot. Needed a bit more brown sugar. This was just fabulous- don't think I'll ever have kraut any other way now!
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 -3 medium apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup bouillon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain kraut slightly.
- Cook onion in butter or drippings until transparent.
- Add sauerkraut and stir; cook slowly.
- Wash, peel, and core apples; dice fruit and add to sauerkraut.
- Add wine and enough stock or bouillon to cover.
- Cook slowly, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and celery seeds; cover and finish cooking in moderate 325° oven 30 minutes longer.