Recipe by Jason - Monroe, WA
GREAT French Onion Soup that adheres to Weight Watcher Members "low points" recipes. POINTS value is 4 points per serving.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 large sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 6 slices toasted French bread (3/8 inch slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and salt; cook, first tossing with tongs, and when they begin to wilt, stirring occasionally with a spoon, until pale golden brown and very soft, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs and pepper. Pour the broth over the onions. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Discard thyme sprigs when done.
- Combine the cheese and thyme leaves in a bowl. Spread the cheese mixture over the bread slices. Ladle the soup into bowls, top each serving with a bread slice.