Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
GREAT French Onion Soup that adheres to Weight Watcher Members "low points" recipes. POINTS value is 4 points per serving.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 large sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 6 slices toasted French bread (3/8 inch slices)
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and salt; cook, first tossing with tongs, and when they begin to wilt, stirring occasionally with a spoon, until pale golden brown and very soft, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs and pepper. Pour the broth over the onions. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Discard thyme sprigs when done.
- Combine the cheese and thyme leaves in a bowl. Spread the cheese mixture over the bread slices. Ladle the soup into bowls, top each serving with a bread slice.
This is an absolutely delicious soup -- my entire family loved it. So easy - the long simmer in the crockpot definitely added to the flavor development
This soup turned out great! I thickened it a bit with some wondra flour at the end and also added some kitchen bouquet for color and flavor. It is rich and satisfying. I'm sure I'll make again. Thanks for posting!
Yum yum! This was super good! Made it as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks!