Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice rice and veggie side dish. A great replacement for the boxed rice sides. For super fast prep, use frozen prechopped veggies, they don't even have to be thawed.
- 1⁄4 cup green peppers or 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- cooking spray or 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat a skillet with a lid over medium and spray with cooking spray or melt butter. Add all ingredients through rice. Cook until rice is browned and veggies are tender but still crisp.
- Stir in chicken broth and spices, heat to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done and most liquid is absorbed.
Great idea and so much cheaper and healthier than buying the boxed mixes in the store! I have even made this on the grill in a disposable pan covered with foil over indirect heat. Thanks for posting!