Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
So, on the last day of sign ups for ZWT#6 people were talking about posting recipes they would try, and were even willing to post recipes that others were willing to try. Me, personally, I like to do a little of both, which includes options for those who are vegetarians or keep Kosher, or those who are lactose intolerant. I did a search for a vegetarian version for Haggis and found this on allrecipes.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 5 fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons canned kidney beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 3 tablespoons ground peanuts
- 2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups steel cut oats
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and saute the onion 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in carrot and mushrooms, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in broth, lentils, kidney beans, peanuts, hazelnuts, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- Season with thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and mixed spice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in oats, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch baking pan.
- Stir the egg into the saucepan. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, until firm.