Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A low-fat veggie soup recipe which is nice on a winters night with some warmed crusty dinner rolls. I am not sure of US equivalent of can sizes, so I hope the 14 oz I have put where cans are needed are correct. Basically, just your average can size, not small and not fat, just normal size! Hope that makes sense!
- 1 carrot, sliced and diced
- 1 large onion, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 green capsicum, sliced and diced
- 1 cup green beans, sliced
- 1⁄2 parsnip, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 -3 celery ribs, sliced (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can four-bean mix or 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 3 teaspoons chicken stock
- 6 -8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Chop up all the vegetables listed. I have put celery sticks as optional as my husband doesnt like them, but I do!
- Add all vegetables to dutch oven or similar pan.
- Add tinned tomatoes and tin of bean mix.
- Mix stock with hot water and add.
- Add water (I usually add the water till my dutch oven is almost full - leaving about 5 cms from the top of the pot.
- Add herbs and mix well.
- Cook on stove until boiling, then turn down to low and cook for about an hour stirring occasionally.
This immediatly became 5 stars when the veggie hating DM ate with gusto without me having the puree the soup to get her vegies into her. I did take out a little insurance and omitted the beans and capsicum which she isn't either keen on or hates but did add zucchinni and a turnip and for the onion I used a couple of small sweet red eschallots and a young leek and I sweated off the vegies in a little oil in the pot to bring out their flavours and then added the tomatoes and the white beans (drained and rinsed) and 5 cups of hot homemade chicken stock and simmered for the hour. The DM had a huge bowl for her dinner (we had a hot and spicy meal which she doesn't like) and I am planning on taking a serving tomorrow in a thermos on our 4x4 trek day. Thank you ozzygirl for a good basic vegetable soup recipe, made for Bargain Basement game.