Ecuadorean Quinoa and Vegetable Soup
I have tried several recipes using quinoa and never liked any of them until this one. It is important to rinse this grain very, very well to get rid of the bitter taste. This is an adapted Moosewood recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup raw quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water (I prefer vegetable stock) or 3 cups vegetable stock (I prefer vegetable stock)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse the quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer under running water; set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add in the onions and salt; cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes--stir every now and then.
- Add in the drained quinoa, potatoes, bell pepper, coriander, cumin, oregano, pepper, vegetable stock, and tomatoes; stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini; cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the lemon juice; stir to combine.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this tonight. This recipe is a great way to clean out the veggie drawer. I omitted the potato, and added half of a small head of cabbage chopped,one carrot,one stalk of celery, one jalapeno with ribs and seeds,three green onions and some dehydrated onion, a zucchini, the quinoa,a 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes, 6 cloves of chopped garlic ( husband had a bad cold ) and about 4 1/2 cups of chicken broth and cilantro and juice of 1 lemon at the end. Absolutely delicious!!! I loved it ,hubby hasn't tried it yet. I will be making this again, great on a cold and damp night!! Thanks for sharing.Reply
see 50 more