1 hr 20 mins
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 6 chili peppers, crushed into a paste (I will use a lesser amount of chili paste or crushed red pepper flakes) or 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I will use a lesser amount of chili paste or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (2-inch piece)
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, pre-soaked
- 1/2 lb green peas
- 1/2 lb carrot, chopped
- 1/2 lb green beans, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 sprigs fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, pounded
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked (basamati is good)
- 6 large potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 cups hot water
- yogurt, to serve
- 1In a large, heavy skillet or stew pot, fry the onions in butter until they are golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove about 1/3 of the slices and set aside.
- 2Add to the pot the ginger, garlic and chili paste, and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the lentils, green peas, carrots and green beans. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes, adding more butter or a bit of oil if needed.
- 3Add the tomatoes, spices and mint, and stir for 5 minutes.
- 4Then pour a cup of hot water, cover, and simmer until vegetables are about half cooked.
- 5Add rice, potatoes, salt and another 4-5 cups of hot water (use the lesser amount if your vegetables have created quite a bit of liquid). Cover again, and cook for another 20-30 minutes until rice is done and water is absorbed.
- 6To serve, garnish with the reserved onion slices, and pass around a bowl of yogurt as a sauce.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Biryani (South Africa)
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.9
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 257.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: