Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I made these when the kids asked for Mexican food. They were delicious - served with Veggie Fajitas. I think this recipe would work well with almost any kind of beans.
- 350 g pinto beans, dry
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 5 cups water
- Spray the slow-cooker with cooking spray. Rinse and sort the beans, add to the prepared slow-cooker.
- Add all the spices and the olive oil to the beans. Stir until every bean is coated with the spice mixture.
- Add the onion, tomato, garlic and cilantro to the beans. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the water over all. Cook on high for 5-7 hours - stirring occasionally.
I absolutely love this recipe and will use it again. The only thing I would change is I would either greatly reduce the added salt or eliminate it entirely and allow it to be added to taste when served. 1 tsp. salt adds 2,325 mg. of sodium to the recipe and that is completely unnecessary. Great (albeit salty) flavor.
I used already soaked beans and cooked them for a hour and a half on the stove with all of the ingredients. This recipe is excellent. I didn't change anything else. My kids loved it and I will make them again.