Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
I made these when the kids asked for Mexican food. They were delicious - served with Veggie Fajitas. I think this recipe would work well with almost any kind of beans.
Top Review by Kathylee.email@example.com
These were delicious. Used Mexican oregano - didn't have cilantro, so tossed in a bit of coriander. The next morning I gave the leftovers a couple whirls in the food processor, then refried them in olive oil. Fantastic refried beans! Will become a regular routine.
- 350 g pinto beans, dry
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 5 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the slow-cooker with cooking spray. Rinse and sort the beans, add to the prepared slow-cooker.
- Add all the spices and the olive oil to the beans. Stir until every bean is coated with the spice mixture.
- Add the onion, tomato, garlic and cilantro to the beans. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the water over all. Cook on high for 5-7 hours - stirring occasionally.