Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This lovely dessert is so easy to make. The original recipe is from The Joy Of Vegan Baking. I think I'd have used more bananas because I just like more fruit in my crumbles. I wouldn't add too much more sugar either, ripe bananas are sweet on their own. If you aren't a fan of nutmeg, replace it with cinnamon and if you don't like coconut, try some roasted walnuts. If you do use nutmeg, grind it yourself, it is so much tastier then the already ground. Note: I didn't include the time to roast the coconut in this recipe. You can put it into your preheated oven for a few minutes. Keep an eye on it, it can burn very easily.
Top Review by Missy Marachino
This was a real treat! It was tasty and crispy on top, and the coconut was a perfect touch. I did however sprinkle flaked almonds on mine which added extra crunch, and I had to cook it for double the time as it was quite undercooked at 20 minutes. I was also a little sceptical as to the crumble topping during mixing as it was very wet; I followed the recipe exactly (admittedly using a little less sugar but I figured this wouldn't do much to the consistency). Could it be that instead of using only 0.5 cup flour you use 1 cup? Lovely recipe anyhow! x
FOR THE FILLING
- 4 medium bananas (ripe and sliced in round discs)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine (earth balance)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (toasted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground or 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, if you wish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- Lightly oil 12 individual ramekins or one 9 inch square or round pan.
- Peel the bananas and slice them, then add to a bowl and add the sugar, give it a gentle mix to coat the banana and set aside.
- To make the crumble melt the earth balance margarine, set aside. Mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, coconut and butter together. Mix well so that all the dry ingredients are coated with the earth balance.
- Put your banana into the pan covering the bottom completely with banana. Add the crumble topping and sprinkle a little nutmeg on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Bon Appetit!