Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found at a food blog, but I can't remember where. The original recipe didn't say how long to bake the cake for, so I always start with 30 minutes and work from there.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large vanilla bean
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 9in cake pans.
- In small bowl combine milk, egg whites, vanilla, scraped insides of vanilla bean and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder and combine at low speed.
- On low, add butter pieces one at a time and then oil; mix until resembles moist crumbs.
- Add milk mixture and beat at medium speed for two minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stop mixture, scrape down sides of bowl and beat again for about 30 more seconds.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and place in the oven to bake until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (start testing at approximately 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire racks and cool completely, about an hour.
- Frost as desired.
I too used a Madagascar vanilla bean with 100% pure vanilla extract. The cake is delicious and I will be making this for my guests at my upcoming anniversary party (this weekend). Don't forget to add in the salt though.
Very good! A couple of suggestions...
Use a Madagascar vanilla bean for the most vanilla flavor.
Also, I kept the egg whites separate and at the very end, I beat them until they formed soft peaks. Then, I folded the egg whites into the batter. This made for a lighter cake. I frosted with a home-made strawberry buttercream.
This recipe is incredible! Definitely my favorite vanilla cake recipe of all time. Note: Step 4 of the instructions does not say to add the 1/4 tsp of salt, but it should! Don't forget to add it!
Love, love, love this cake! Hooray for vanilla bean awesomeness!