Recipe by Truffle Lady46
This is my favorite turkey casserole. Chicken can be substituted. Great for left over Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey. I found this recipe many years ago in a newspaper. My sons especially liked the cheese topping so I used to double the topping ingredients. Whether I serve it at home or bring out, I always get compliments and often asked for the recipe.
Top Review by hisgloryinme
This recipe was absolutely delicious!! I added one regular can of Cream of Mushroom soup, and changed a few things just before placing in the oven. I sprinkled the shredded cheese over the casserole, then poured the melted butter over the top, then sprinkled French Fried Onions over the casserole before placing in the oven. The Cream of Mushroom added creaminess and a really great flavor. This recipe is definitely going in my recipe box!!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely cut celery
- 1 small diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked diced turkey
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento (optional)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over low heat, add green pepper, celery, onion. Saute until tender, but not brown. Blend in flour and seasonings. Stir in milk and broth and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Fold in turkey and pimento, if using, and allow to heat through. Place cooked rice in bottom of a 2 quart casserole. Pour over turkey mixture. Mix crumbs, melted butter, and cheese and sprinkle over top.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30 minute or until lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.