This recipe comes from an old milk calendar. If you use cheese tortellini, it makes a tasty vegetarian meal.
- 44.37 ml butter, divided
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 396.89 g can tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml sliced fresh mushrooms
- 59.14 ml chopped green onion
- 29.58 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 177.44 ml grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 340.19 g fresh tortellini or 340.19 g frozen tortellini
- 354.88 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- To make tomato sauce, melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Cook onion and garlc until tender.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To make Parmesan/mushroom sauce, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook mushrooms and green onions until tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Stir into Parmesan/mushroom sauce.
- Pour tomato sauce into a 2L (2QT) shallow baking dish.
- Spoon tortellini mixture over tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and golden.
Nice casserole! I also used the tri color cheese filled tortellini (from Costco) as the other reviewer did. Tasted even better the second day! Will make again for sure.
Very good. I used tri color cheese filled tortellini. Just enough for 2 people with a bit leftover for one lunch serving. :)