Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Use this one-dish meal to sneak in a few servings of vegetables. Serve it in bowls with crusty Italian bread or spoon it over fettuccine.
Top Review by Chef TanyaW
What a wonderful, DELICIOUS recipe, and a terrific way to use fresh garden veggies.
I cheated and used Costco meatballs for the meatball portion of the recipe.
I used two medium zucchini and a medium squash. I also used a pound plus of mixed fresh tomatoes in place of the italian tomatoes. There was such an abundance of veggies in the pan that I needed a little more sauce/juice. Therefore, I added an extra can of crushed tomatoes.
I gave it all a few sprinklings of fesh ground sea salt... it was a perfect dinner. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute or 1 egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 (16 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine beef or turkey, bread crumbs, egg substitute or egg, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 4 tablespoons cheese. Form into balls the size of walnuts. Warm oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, several at a time, and cook 15 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink inside. Remove to a bowl,leaving drippings in the skillet.
- In the same skillet in warm drippings over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Stir in zucchini, yellow squash, cut tomatoes (with juice), crushed tomatoes, sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and meatballs. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Serve.