Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is truly savory and delicious. The sour cream crust is so tender. This is from Southern Living magazine.
- 4 tomatoes, medium, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 29.58 ml basil, fresh and chopped
- 236.59 ml parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- sour cream pastry dough
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare Sour Cream Pastry.
- Sour Cream Pastry: Stir together first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Add sour cream; stir with a fork until combined. Gently gather dough into a flat disk; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Tomato Pie: Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. Stir together next 3 ingredients and 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Roll Sour Cream Pastry into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven, and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over bottom of crust. Arrange tomato slices over cheese in crust; spread mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 34 to 37 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Gorgeous and delicious. The combination of cheese, basil, and tomato is classic, and for good reason. The mayo gives it a lovely tang and creaminess. And the sour cream pastry is some of the most flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth crust I've ever tasted. I did give up on rolling it out and patted it in the pie plate after several failed attempts to move it. And the 5 minute standing time after baking is crucial. It was still a bit crumbly at that point, but after resting for 10-15 minutes, I was able to slice and plate the pie. This is an excellent addition to a lovely spring brunch.