Recipe by Vicki Kaye
This is truly savory and delicious. The sour cream crust is so tender. This is from Southern Living magazine.
Top Review by under12parsecs
Gorgeous and delicious. The combination of cheese, basil, and tomato is classic, and for good reason. The mayo gives it a lovely tang and creaminess. And the sour cream pastry is some of the most flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth crust I've ever tasted. I did give up on rolling it out and patted it in the pie plate after several failed attempts to move it. And the 5 minute standing time after baking is crucial. It was still a bit crumbly at that point, but after resting for 10-15 minutes, I was able to slice and plate the pie. This is an excellent addition to a lovely spring brunch.
- 4 tomatoes, medium, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 29.58 ml basil, fresh and chopped
- 236.59 ml parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- sour cream pastry dough
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare Sour Cream Pastry.
- Sour Cream Pastry: Stir together first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Add sour cream; stir with a fork until combined. Gently gather dough into a flat disk; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Tomato Pie: Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. Stir together next 3 ingredients and 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Roll Sour Cream Pastry into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven, and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over bottom of crust. Arrange tomato slices over cheese in crust; spread mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 34 to 37 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.