Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from my friends at "Cafe Luna" here for safekeeping :) "All you need is a good glass of wine, and a hunk of good bread, a simply dressed salad and you have a great meal!!!"
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced (or 2-28 oz cans chopped or ready cut tomatoes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry dill weed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups half-and-half (optional)
- In large soup pot, add all ingredients except orange zest and half and half.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- In batches, ladle hot soup into blender and puree until smooth.
- Return back to soup pot and add orange zest and half and half (if using).
- Bring back to simmer and serve.
Oh my is this a heavenly bowl of goodness. Very proud that on a recent trip upstate I picked tomatoes and dill fresh from the garden. Could not have found a more fitting treatment to showcase my summer bounty. The soup has a lovely richness that suggest a more fussy preparation with sauteing and layering and one would never guess that it is more or less dump and run. The orange manages to brighten the dill without becoming an addition flavor to muddle the palate. I left out the sugar as it was unneeded. Thanks!
This is delicious and so easy ! A perfect comfort meal (and low fat too) with this delish soup with Cheddar Sandwiches With Quick Pickles and Honey Mustard. I used fat free half and half for a guiltless soup! Thanks for sharing this keeper!