Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the best cabbage soup I have ever tasted. I found this recipe in an old cookbook. I changed some of the ingredients as I love a thick soup, the chili sauce adds a lot of flavor to the soup.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes (broken up)
- 8 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- Melt margarine in large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add onion and celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.Cover.
- Boil slowly until vegetables are tender.
I made as directed, but I'd do one thing differently next time - leave out the extra sugar. I thought the chili sauce gave the soup a sweet flavor, with the added sugar it was a little on the sweet side for us.
I thought this was AWESOME! I love any kind of cabbage soup. I did not have chili sauce so I subbed it with 2 TSP of chili powder. I also left out the sugar and I didn't add extra salt due to the boullion. It was a perfect low cal soup. I do think the servings are closer to 8 or 12 though.
It is a great soup and a keeper.My wife and friend had it for supper and lunch today and we put it up to be one of the best recipe you have come up with.Thanks for shareing this.