Mom's Yummy Cabbage Soup (Even if You Don't Like Cabbage!)
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut up in sm. pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 10 allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, put cut-up cabbage and raw ground beef, diced onion and all ingredients EXCEPT for the tomato paste.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat until the meat and cabbage are done. (NOTE: You do not have to drain the fat from the ground beef.) (The cabbage and beef usually get done at about the same time--if not, just cook a little longer till the cabbage is done.).
- Turn heat down to low, add the tomato paste and cook about 15 minutes longer.
- I usually add a little salt and pepper as I cook, then season again to taste when the soup is finished.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I like this soup... and extended the suggestions of the person who suggested adding cayenne. I'd also like to add caraway seeds, but don't have any at moment. A google search revealed that "Herbs which compliment cabbage are: basil, caraway, cayenne, cumin, dill, fennel , marjoram, sage and savory." I might try some others next time.
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I currently live in West Virginia. I have two daughters, 10 and 7 yrs. I teach 4th grade at the small elementary school that they attend.<br /><br />Shortly before the birth of my youngest daughter, I started becoming interested in cooking, with great thanks to this site. I love trying new things. I used to collect cookbooks, and I still have quite a few, but since I've been a member of food.com, I have to admit that I don't use them much anymore. This is so much easier! <br /> <br />In addition to cooking, I enjoy spending time with my girls, reading, and shopping. I'm also a big Virginia Tech fan, hence my user name. It's where I went to school, so my loyalty lives on! </p>