Recipe by Leggy Peggy
This tomato soup is nutritious, delicious, easy-to-make and ready in just over 30 minutes. Serve hot, room temp or even cold. Use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian/vegan. This has been adapted from a Julie Le Clerc recipe.
Top Review by Hanka
Very tasty soup. My DH loved it. I love addition of tomato paste as it gives strong flavor. I added 1Tbsp. of sugar to cut acidity and it gives soup a bit of sweetness. Used 2 vegetable stock cubes. I cooked it for 30 min. and than puree the soup for nice smooth texture. The consistency of the soup was just perfect not too thick or too watery. I cooked the couscous separately and added to the soup at the time of serving. Garnished with fresh chive and served with crusty cheese crostini. Definitely keeper! Made for January 2012 swap recipe. Thank you Leggy Peggy!
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4.92 ml cumin, ground
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 70 g tomato paste
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock or 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 78.07 ml instant couscous
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2.46 ml sea salt (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook over moderate heat until onion is softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cumin and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add couscous and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, or until couscous is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh coriander (cilantro).