Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This tomato soup is nutritious, delicious, easy-to-make and ready in just over 30 minutes. Serve hot, room temp or even cold. Use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian/vegan. This has been adapted from a Julie Le Clerc recipe.
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4.92 ml cumin, ground
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 70 g tomato paste
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock or 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 78.07 ml instant couscous
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2.46 ml sea salt (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook over moderate heat until onion is softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cumin and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add couscous and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, or until couscous is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh coriander (cilantro).
Very tasty soup. My DH loved it. I love addition of tomato paste as it gives strong flavor. I added 1Tbsp. of sugar to cut acidity and it gives soup a bit of sweetness. Used 2 vegetable stock cubes. I cooked it for 30 min. and than puree the soup for nice smooth texture. The consistency of the soup was just perfect not too thick or too watery. I cooked the couscous separately and added to the soup at the time of serving. Garnished with fresh chive and served with crusty cheese crostini. Definitely keeper! Made for January 2012 swap recipe. Thank you Leggy Peggy!
This was quite a nice soup for such a cold and dreary afternoon. I thought the couscous was an excellent addition, as it thickened the soup while not serving as the dominant flavor over the other tasty ingredients, especially the cumin which really worked well here. I opted for fresh cilantro for the garnish, and I even cut up extra bits for added flavor. And I must say cilantro should be a major ingredient and not an optional garnish, because cilantro was the shining star of this soup, at least form me. Wow! Thanks, Leggy Peggy. I enjoyed this a Zaar World Tour #6 event.
This deserves 10 stars! Five for taste and five for ease! This was enjoyed by my whole household. The only changes I made was using a vegan chicken style stock and I gave the soup a quick mix with my hand blender before I added the couscous. I also sprinkled some chilli flakes on mine because I love a hint of heat. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds ZWT6