Curried Butternut Squash & Apple Soup - Crock Pot
A Cuisinart slow cooker recipe. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock for a vegetarian alternative.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 26mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes (weigh after peeling & seeding)
- 1 lb apple, peeled, cored &, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup white rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions& celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add curry powder and ginger and cook for 5 to 6 minutes longer over low heat, until veggies are softened and spices are fragrant.
- Place butternut squash, apples, and rice in slow cooker (in that order).
- Add veggie mixture from skillet.
- Add chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low temperature and cook 5 additional hours.
- Puree the soup to a completely smooth texture with hand blender or blender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
WOW, I cheated a little for the rice I used a pack I had in the pantry TILDA BUTTERNUT SQUASH & BROWN BASMATI RICE. I had a mix of apples sweet and green so I simply lumped them as apples and measured out the amount needed - blended it in my Nutra Bullet and magic smooth soup with the most wonderful flavor. This recipe is a keeper and is nice both hot or cold with a big dob of light sour cream or Greek Yoghurt, I also sprinkled the top with some chopped cashews when serving.