Carrot Coriander Soup
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
- 2 ounces vegetable oil or 2 ounces butter
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 -10 cups vegetable stock (not all added at once)
- 3 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
- Heat oil or butter in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add carrots and onion. Stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed coriander seeds, ground coriander and mace. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 6 cups of vegetable stock, and all other ingredients except the additional stock, and the cream and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes or until carrots and barley are tender.
- Whiz the soup in a food processor (you'll probably need to do this in at least two batches), and return to cooking pan.
- Stir in the last 2-4 cups of vegetable stock (depending on how thin a soup you want) and the cream, if used.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve, garnished generously with chopped cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
In the past I made a Carrot Coriander soup with potatoes and orange juice so was looking for something like that when I came across this one. I decided to try it and my husband and I agree we love it even more than the old one! It is a keeper! I bought 5 pounds of carrots for 99cents and then thought.. what to do with these? This is gourmet! I did not have mace so substituted cumin and was pretty liberal on all the spices and lemon juice. I only used about 1 1/2 cups broth to thin the soup in the end and used about 1/2 cup of milk and thought it was perfect. Even my 2 year old daughter ate it! Very yummy and healthy!
This soup is OUTSTANDING! Simple, elegant, and FULL OF FLAVOR. I only made 2 servings and wish I made more. I used Enova oil and sliced peeled baby carrots. I didn't have coriander seeds so doubled the ground coriander. I used brown sugar Splenda. I used 1 (14oz) can of vegetable broth and didn't use the cream. I covered it for step 4. I used my immersion blender to puree it. The cilantro went extremely well with it. My hubby practically licked his bowl. This one deserves to win. Good luck!
This was a beautiful soup and we all enjoyed it - I added an extra spoon of pearl barley as we love the texture of it and only used 1/2 the amount of cream but then did use an extra cup of stock to thin it a wee bit - it made a large amount and was a most enjoyable meal served with warm wholemeal bread .
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Thanks so much for visiting my page.</p> <p> </p> <p>I love to cook and travel.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm originally from Nebraksa and now live in Australia. Have also been lucky enough to live in Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Burma.</p> <p> </p> <p>Since the beginning of 2009, hubby and I have visited all seven continents. We've cooked and travelled in Africa and Antarctica, from London across Asia to Sydney, around Australia, around South America, and across India, Europe, Canada and the USA. Most of our travels have been by road and we've covered more than 150,000 kilometres. It's been fun to learn about food and recipes from all over the globe, and most of the souvenirs I bring home are cookbooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>If you're interested in seeing some of our trip and menu highlights, please visit my travel blog at http://leggypeggy.com or my food blog at http://cookingonpage32.wordpress.com</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks also to everyone who has made, reviewed and/or photographed any of my recipes. Most appreciated.</p>