Sweet Banana Soup, With Tapioca and Coconut
A very common dessert in Hanoi. You can serve it hot, cold, or room temp. I personally prefer it hot in winter (yes it does get cold in Hanoi in winter, very actually!)
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (less, if the bananas are very ripe)
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 2 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Bring water and coconut milk to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add sugar, salt, tapioca.
- Reduce heat to medium low, let it cook for about 30 minutes, stir frequently.
- Stir in bananas, remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Note: after you add the bananas, don't stir too much, it'll break up the fruit.
- Serve hot, or chill for 3-4 hours.
- Cook time not incl.
- chill time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this recipe for my food blog (Travel by Stove) as a part of my Bhutan entry. This was a really nice change from the overly sweet and rich American desserts we'd been eating all Easter. I served it hot and I used bananas that were on the greener side, since I don't really like mushy bananas. I also excluded the sesame seeds. It was delicious and made a nice finish to the meal.Reply
I really love this soup. I am eating it hot right now. However the rest in the fridge for serving tonight. The tapioca imparts far more flavor than I thought it would. It is nice to have a soup in which I can still see the bananas. The sesame seeds do add. I can't wait to have it cold tonight! I can imagine that shredded or flaked coconut would be a wonderful addition.Reply
This is wonderful and very like what I was served in Vietnam. The recipe is very acurate with the prep time and servings. It tastes great warm, is more like a pudding when served cool. To speed up the cooking time by about 10 minutes you can increas the heat, but stir constantly or else you'll have a mess! If I were to add anything it would be pandanus leaf extract.Reply
see 6 more