I love egg foo yung, but wanted to veganize it. This looks like just the thing! Baked instead of pan-fried, it’s so much better and flavorful than the eggy version. It’s good with or without the gravy. Black salt has a slightly sulfur taste like hard boiled eggs. You can leave it out if you wish. From chowvegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white and some green part, chopped
- 3 ounces water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt (also known as Sanchal or kala namak, or use mineral salt)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped, for garnish
- 1Drain and rinse the tofu, wrap in paper towels and place a heavy weight on top. Press for about an hour. While the tofu is pressing, chop the vegetables.
- 2Heat a wok to hot. When hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the wok. Add the celery and leeks, sauté for a few minutes, add the mushrooms and water chestnuts and cook for another minute or so. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Crumble the tofu, add the rest of the ingredients and blend well together. Scoop out a 1/4 cup of the mixture and shape into a patty on a oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of each patty with oil, flip over and brush the other side. Bake for 15 minutes, gently flip over and bake another 15 minutes.
- 5To make the gravy, heat the broth with the soy sauce and sugar. Combine the cornstarch with a little bit of cold water and mix until smooth. When the broth comes to a boil, slowly add the cornstarch mixture and stir to desired thickness.
- 6Top the foo yung with gravy and garnish with the green onions, serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu “Egg” Foo Yung
Serving Size: 1 (896 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.8
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 461.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: