These are the BEST mashed potatoes EVER! And they are so user-friendly because you can make them the night before. I never take these anywhere without people begging me for the recipe. Once you make these, you will never want to make them any other way. Also great in twice-baked potatoes. And, if you need really easy, buy pre-cooked mashed potatoes, add from these ingredients, stir, and re-heat in microwave. Tastes almost as good as home-made! My favorite way to cook these are in the crockpot! EDIT: Please note that I have always cooked these in the crockpot and have never baked them; I have gotten new feedback that they taste FAR BETTER if cooked in the crockpot, so this is now my only recommendation for cooking source.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 pinch marjoram (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- bacon bits or 2 slices cooked crumpled bacon
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Beat softened cream cheese and sour cream in mixing bowl.
- Add hot potatoes and beat until smooth, adding small amounts of milk as needed.
- Add butter, chives, salt, pepper and onion powder and beat until well-mixed.
- Add garlic, green onions, and marjoram and beat until well-mixed.
- Pour into either casserole dish or crockpot.
- Dot with additional butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 25 minutes in 350°F oven or cook on low in crockpot for 2-3 hours. If cooked in crockpot, add a few additional drops of butter and stir, just before serving.
- Sprinkle with Bacon Bits or crumpled bacon just before serving.
- NOTE: Can be refrigerated overnight in either casserole dish or crockpot.