Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes With Browned Butter
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring the potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and water to a boil. While waiting for the potatoes to come to a boil, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6-8 minutes or just until butter begins to turn golden brown. Immediately remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a small bowl as butter will continue to get darker if it's left in the saucepan. From the small bowl, remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of the browned butter. Set aside to refrigerate for later use.
- Boil potatoes 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reduce heat to low and return potatoes to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes or until potatoes are dry.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in browned butter from the small bowl (meaning all but the 2 tablespoons); buttermilk, milk, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, stirring just until blended.
- Place potatoes in a lightly greased ovenproof serving dish. Cover and chill up to 2 days. When ready to cook, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes or until thorougly heated. (It took about 60 minutes when I doubled the recipe.) Microwave 2 tablespoons reserved brown butter to melt it; drizzle over potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I make these all of the time and thought I had reviewed this recipe, but I guess not. These are the best mashed potatoes. No gravy is required! I do especially like to make these when I am asked to bring something for a family dinner. They are always a hit. The browned butter really makes a difference!
Few things on this earth are better than browned butter. It makes anything like eating candy. This is no exception. I didn't do this as a "make-ahead" recipe, but nonetheless, it was fabulous. The potatoes are fluffy and have a rich flavor and golden color. Thanx for posting this! It's a winner for sure.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've always been inspired by gourmet cooking but hate the time and huge ingredient lists required so I'm continually on the lookout for recipes which are quick and easy to make but taste gourmet. And I love anything that can be made-ahead so that when it's dinner time, I can relax. Being that I'm not so great at creating my own recipes, this site is perfect for me -- and has finally helped to limit my cookbook buying!