Prep 25 mins
Cook 52 mins
This soup is soooooo good, you'll forget about the main course!
Make and share this Thick Beer-Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or less)
- 18 ounces beer
- Saute celery and onions in oil until transparent.
- Add flour and cook about 7 mins (do not let onions get brown).
- Add milk, chicken stock, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, Tabasco and salt.
- Cook, about 45 mins on low heat.
- Add the shredded cheese; mix well.
- Add the beer; mix.
- Heat through (do not boil).
Very good flavor. Had a bitter aftertaste. I might try using less beer and/or a different kind of beer to try to solve that. I used a Corona. I used 2 cups of cheese and I think I would use more next time. I love thick soups and I never thought I would say this but it was a little too thick for me. Added a little milk to the leftovers for a thinner consistency.
This soup really is nice and thick! I used 1/4 cup of butter insead of 1/4 cup of oil. I used Corona beer, and added it when I added the half and half and broth (to simmer off the alcohol). I used 2 cups of shredded cheddar (the recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs...perhaps it should read 1/2 lb? Otherwise, that would be 6 cups of cheese). Thanx for a great thick soup recipe; I'll make this again.
This soup is WONDERFUL..it is thick so it is very hearty and filling..made it exactly as per recipe EXCEPT I only had 1 lonely little 12oz can of bud lite..still was wonderful..I will make this again and again.. thanks for the wonderful recipe