Recipe by mbartholdson
This is delicious and lower-fat than most creamy soups as it has no cream in it. I have adapted it from a number of broccoli soups and added chicken (use pre cooked to save time) to make it a more complete meal. Perfect winter comfort food!
Top Review by lg.mouriski
This soup was exceptional! I made it for my husband and he completely loved it! It is creamy and delicious. I was skeptical about the potatoes in broccoli cheddar soup but they really add to it! Overall it was a 5! I would say that this is better for the winter rather than late Spring like the description says. But this recipe will be made over and over again! I would not change ANYTHING!
- 4 (8 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 8 tablespoons butter (I like smart balance) or 8 tablespoons butter, alternative (I like smart balance)
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 cups minced fresh broccoli
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic with 2 tbsp butter until onion is becoming translucent.
- In another pan melt remaining butter and slowly add flour to create a roue.
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and simmer on high for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- You may need to stir often during first hour to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese and green onions if you like!