To make a vegetarian version of this soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lbs broccoli (florets roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slice)
- 1 onion, medium-roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced-pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- table salt
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (see note)
- 2 ounces Baby Spinach (2 loosely packed cups)
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated fine (about 3/4 cup)
- ground black pepper
- Heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add broccoli, onion, garlic, dry mustard, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and baking soda. Bring to simmer, cover, and cook until broccoli is very soft, about 20 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Add broth and 2 cups water and increase heat to medium-high. When mixture begins to simmer, stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer half of soup to blender, add cheddar and Parmesan, and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer soup to medium bowl and repeat with remaining soup. Return soup to Dutch oven, place over medium heat and bring to simmer. Adjust consistency of soup with up to 1 cup water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION