Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the cheese and stock, and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook until heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this yesterday. It's one of the easiest recipes for broccoli soup that I've ever tried. Highly recommend using less onion. Next time I make this, I will use a quarter of an onion, as opposed to one large onion, as the recipe calls for. Also, I used sharp cheddar cheese. It was delicious. Albeit a bit too 'oniony'. I reiterate...use less onion. I rated this a five star recipe for how easy and quick it is to make.
I made 1/2 of the recipe and had a bowl of it, along with salad, for my lunch today. I used chicken broth (canned) and felt it was an overpowering flavor, compared to all the other broccoli/cheese soups I have tasted. Next time I would go with the bouillon and water to decrease the chicken flavor, but also realized that I used broth and not stock, so that might have made the difference, so didn't take stars away from the recipe for my mistake. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2012.