Wisconsin Broccoli-Cheddar Cheese Soup
photo by mommyluvs2cook
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese or 6 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives or 2 teaspoons chopped green onion tops
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook and stir 30 seconds or until bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli and red pepper; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese; stir over low heat just until cheese melts (do not boil).
- Ladle into four soup bowls; top with chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My bf LOVED this soup and he hates broccoli. I can't tell you how many times he told me how good it was while he was eating it. I did add a little to it. Sauteed about 1/2 cup of diced onion before adding the flour. Used cayenne, garlic powder, and hot paprika. Added a small can of hot green chilis and used Cabot's seriously sharp white cheddar (about 4 oz), 4 oz of reg sharp cheddar and about 6 oz of Velveeta. As well as added a chicken bullion cube. Will definitely make again.
Generally delicious. I have made this recipe several times now, and like a lot of chefs, I think it needs onion. About 1/2 - 3/4 cups, minced. I sauté them with the butter right at the beginning. I also do 1/2 milk, 1/2 chicken broth. I use an immersion blender (not utterly pureed, just chunky) just before I add the cheese. And yes, up to 8oz of cheese is just fine!
I also used the advice of other reviewers and used chicken buillon granules instead of salt and added chopped garlic. I didn't have any green onion so I used chopped yellow onion. I also added cracked black pepper, which made it pretty spicy with the cayenne but very tasty. I also used a blend of cheddar cheese and velveeta, which made it rich and creamy. Very delicious soup! I will make it again for sure :)
Mmm! Perfect. Usually my broc cheese soups turn out really liquidy and not as flavorful, but this one is wonderfully thick and creamy! I substituted fresh for frozen broccoli and added more than the recipe called for, and instead of using the onions for a garnish I just cut up extra and added it right to the soup. I also added fresh ground black pepper, and the soup has just the right amount of spiciness!!
This is an excellent recipe!! Makes a very creamy and cheesy soup...superb comfort food!! I made a few little changes...used fresh broccoli instead of frozen, added a little chopped celery and onion and a clove of minced garlic. I also added one chicken boullion and cut back on the salt a little bit. Served with fresh ground black pepper and scallions to top...WONDERFUL!!! The red pepper makes a very nice, colorful presentation. Thank you for a great recipe!! Definite keeper! ~Manda