Spicy Keto Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
photo by frostingnfettuccine
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (white or sweet)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb coarsely chopped broccoli floret, with 2-inches stem
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus leaves from 4 sprigs, for serving
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces coarsely grated Fontina cheese (1/2 cup packed)
- 4 ounces coarsely grated sharp white cheddar cheese (1 cup packed, more for serving)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add onion and season generously with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and beginning to turn golden on the edges, about 7 minutes.
- Add cayenne and toast until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add broccoli, thyme, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until broccoli is just tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add cream. Using an immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth.
- On low heat, add fontina and cheddar and cook until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper, divide among serving bowls, and top with fresh thyme and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!