Recipe by Lizzie Rodriquez
From newest book. Haven't tried. This tangy, spicy soup is made with classic Thai ingredients that are easy to find. Look for both chili-garlic sauce and Asian fish sauce in the specialty food section of most large supermarkets. If you have leftovers, simply whisk when reheating.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced and keep separate
- 1 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered lengthwise
- 14 ounces light coconut milk, can
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered and chopped, with their juices
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, lemon juice, scallion whites, ginger, and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium high heat; cover and reduce heat to medium low, and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk (it will appear to curdle at first), then add shrimp, tomatoes ang their juices, chili garlic sauce, and fish sauce. Return to a simmer and cook until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, divide into 4 bowls, and serve.