Chicken and Lentil Stew (South Beach Diet Phase 2)
From most recent book. Haven't tried. This hearty, quick cooking stew tastes as if it had been simmered for hours. Double the recipe, it freezes beautifully.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2 in. slices
- 15 ounces lentils, can drained and rinsed
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces Baby Spinach (4 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, basil, oregano, pepper, and a pinch of salt; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirrring occasionally, 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in chicken breasts and cook for 1 minute. Add lentils, tomatoes, and their juices, and broth. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, cover, and cook 1 minute longer or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Easy, nutritious and delicious....what more could you ask for in a recipe...Oh, yeah, I had all the ingredients on hand and that was another plus! I made this recipe almost exactly as posted, only added a couple of small amounts of leftovers that I had. It was really a delicious soup! Thanks for sharing it with us on Food.com, Lizzie!!!Reply
OMG, this is excellent and so flavorful and filling. I did use tomatoes w/green chiles and that game it some extra spice. DH & DD both wanted theirs over rice, but I thought it was fine just the way it was. Makes a nice easy meal for a busy night and healthy as well. This will be on my make again soon list. Made for New Kid on the Block Tag.Reply
see 1 more