Thai Shrimp & Rice Soup
photo by IngridH
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 -2 teaspoon sriracha sauce (chile-garlic sauce)
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 inches piece lemongrass, thinly sliced (see note in description)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb medium shrimp, raw, without tails, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked rice, preferably jasmine
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon, juice of (3 to 4 T.)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- *You can chop the lemongrass (see the how-to in the recipe description) and cilantro as the chicken broth simmers*.
- Put the chicken broth, sriracha sauce, celery and carrot in a med. saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar and and simmer another good 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the shrimp and rice and simmer just until the shrimp are pink and opaque, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Pull the saucepan off of the heat and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We enjoyed this soup for an easy after work meal and just served a salad with it. I didn't have lemongrass on hand, but did have lemongrass powder. I used 1 tsp of it and let it steep in a little of the hot broth before adding it to the pan. I think the actual lemongrass would have given it better flavor, but it was good just the same. Made for ZWT6.
This was a wonderful soup! I loved the balance of hot and sour. I'd like to try making it with lime juice next time instead of lemon- usually what I combine when I use fish sauce. The sriracha added a nice bite in the back of the throat; not too hot, but a really nice compliment to the other flavors going on in here. This is a great way to use up a bit of leftover rice, and would also be great with chicken if you don't have shrimp on hand- heck, it'd be great even without meat added at all... Made for ZWT9
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I have a wonderful husband and two fantastic kids. I love to read, have fun with family and friends, stay active with: running; soccer; golf; biking; hiking; and gardening. I love to travel. I'm looking forward to more international travel someday. Cooking has become a passion for me. I love to read cookbooks, watch the Food Network, and try new recipes. I have way too many cookbooks! A few of my favorites are: Barefoot Contessa (any - but especially 'Family Style'),Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2, Roasting by Barbara Kafka, Beyond Parsley & The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook. I try to carefully choose recipes that I think my family will enjoy, which is why most of my ratings are 3-5 stars. Happy cooking!