1/1 Photo of Tex-Mex Rice from the Rio Grande Valley
This rice has been passed down in my family for at least four generations. The cumin is the key to this recipe. Use whole cumin, freshly ground. Ground cumin looses it's flavor quite rapidly. If you must use cumin purchased already ground, try throwing in an extra teaspoon. Also, this rice is cooked in a large skillet, rather than in a pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml long-grain white rice, dry
- 44.37 ml corn oil
- 158.51 ml canned tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml tomato, diced
- 14.79 ml cumin, freshly ground
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 59.14 ml onion, diced (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (optional)
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 1Soak the rice - In a large bowl, pour hot water over rice and let stand 25 minutes.
- 2While the rice is soaking, cut up the vegetables, and grind the cumin.
- 3Drain into a sieve and rise well in cold water. Shake sieve and let drain a while until rice stops dripping.
- 4While the rice is draining, heat oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- 5Brown the Rice - Once oil is hot, stir in rice, making sure grains are well coated with oil. Saute rice for about 10 minutes until golden brown, stirring often. If any rice starts turning dark brown, stir constantly.
- 6Stir in all the ingredients except chicken broth (tomato sauce, tomato, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper). Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat or until almost dry, stirring constantly.
- 7Stir in chicken broth and then do not stir again until cooking is complete. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 8Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Change heat to Low, cook covered, for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex-Mex Rice from the Rio Grande Valley
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.3
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 520.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g