Tex-Mex Rice and Two-Bean Pilaf
From "The PDQ Vegetarian Cookbook" by Donna Klein. Kidney beans or black eyed peas can replace the pinto beans (I used kidney beans as that was what I had on hand). I used 19oz cans as that was also all I had on hand. This turned out better than I expected (it seemed a strange idea to me to put salsa into something I was cooking). I used fresh onion and garlic (the original recipe called for processed).
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 onions, chopped or 1/2 cup onion, frozen chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic, refrigerated bottled minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup medium salsa (I used Simply Natural medium salsa)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a medium deep-sided skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and garlic and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add the water, lentils, pinto beans, corn, salsa, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I just did this up for lunch, and even with changes, it's good. Very versatile recipe!! I did it in my rice cooker, used brown rice, added 1/4 cup of barley and extra water, and added some ground turkey that was cooked with taco seasoning (left over from tacos) Good as is, but would be good with some cheese on top and stuck under the broiler at this point also!! Great, healthy recipe - thanks!! ;~))Reply
This is a good tasting recipe, but something is not right with the method or cooking time. My lentils and rice were undercooked after 45 minutes. I did double the spices for my personal taste. Next time I will cook the lentils, oil, rice and spices together with the onions and garlic, and then add the other ingredients. I like beans and rice and I see a lot of potential with this recipe. The addition of shrimp or chicken would be another options for this recipe.Reply