Recipe by rpgaymer
Another Thai-inspired dish. This stir-fry has a mellow, slightly sour flavor from the Tamarind concentrate.
Top Review by lmolieri
I chose this recipe because I had all the ingredients on hand. I followed it exactly and it was awful! The tamarind was way too strong and there were seeds in the tamarind paste that almost broke my husband's tooth. I keep tamarind around for Thai food and use it in small quantities. I should have realized that it was way too much.
- 1⁄2 cup tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded & chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine first four ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic; stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce, and stir until it just begins to simmer. Remove from heat, then stir in bean sprouts and habanero pepper.
- Serve over brown rice.