Recipe by Linda
this casserole is easily adaptable -- use Mexican Blend cheese instead of cheddar, or chopped jalapenos for lots of heat. We prefer it made with the mild chilies. Really good for a church potluck -- I always leave with an empty dish.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package shell macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (mild)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat; drain.
- Add the water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni, chilies and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.