Prep 7 mins
Cook 6 mins
Makes a great less than 30 minute week night dinner. An original recipe that I created for the 2 for 1: Leftovers Challenge in Cooking Photos. Make it your own by adding other or more veggies, and by increasing the hot red chili sauce--if you're a red hot lover. LOL
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked pork, cut into strips (use leftover pork roast, if you have it)
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced and then, slice in halves
- 1⁄2 red peppers or 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup tamari or 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons hot red chili peppers, sauce (or more depends on your preference)
- cooked soba noodles or rice
- sliced green onion (to garnish)
- In jar with lid, combine all the sauce ingredients; shake to blend and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Cook rice or noodles, drain and set aside,covered.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over Med-Hi heat.
- Add pork and cook for about 3 minutes; add onion, celery, and green pepper (and mushrooms, if using).
- Saute all for another 2-3 minutes. (The pork will brown nicely.).
- Add sauce and lower heat to medium.
- Cook until sauce thickens slightly; stirring to coat veggies and meat with sauce. Do not overcook the veggies; need to be crispy.
- Place rice or noodles in bowls or on plates and pour on the pork mixture.
- Sprinkle with green onions to serve.
An awesome tasting stir fry! While I often make a stir fry with that which I have on hand - love adding recipes that we can go to - and this is going to be one of my go to recipes. Being very fond of hoisin sauce and apple cider vinegar knew this was going to be a winner at our house - and it was! Made with pork as directed - but also made with marinated beef strips with equally good results. Thank you for sharing your original recipe Caroline - we enjoyed!