Spicy Crab over Pasta
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, diced very small
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I add a little more)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup salt-free fish stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb flaked crabmeat, with bones removed
- cooked pasta, of your choice
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the oil with the garlic, bell pepper and red pepper flakes over moderate heat.
- When they sizzle, add the tomatoes, crushing them with your hands.
- Stir in the fish stock, tomato paste, parsley, sugar, lemon zest and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, until thick but still fairly liquid.
- Then stir in the crabmeat and continue simmering until the sauce is thick, 3-5 minutes more.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta such as spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine or fettuccelli.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Perfect recipe! Easy, quick, healthy and tasty. I used chicken stock because it was all I had and it was just fine, but I'm sure fish stock would give it just that little extra kick. I made whole wheat rotini pasta and just tossed it in with the crab mixture and it was great. I did double the crab so I wouldn't have to have half a pound sitting in my fridge and it was great. Overall this is a major keeper and will go into our regular rotation. Thanks for sharing!
This was fabulous! I so wish I had leftovers for today. I couldn't find fish stock, but found clam stock by Kitchen Basics and I used that. Also, we had a pound of crab leftover from the weekend, so we threw in the the whole pound. I was worried about the red pepper flakes, because I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, but I used the whole tsp and it was perfect!
What an easy & very tasty recipe to put together, & it's certainly a keeper! I didn't go looking for fish stock but used a home-made vegetable stock instead [that almost came out as 'stork' but I don't do vegetable storks, so...]! Anyway, we found this to be an enjoyable variation to other crab dishes we've had, & with a simple vegetable side, it was light & satisfying! Many thanks for the recipe!
I didnt have any fresh crab when I wanted to make this so I made it with a couple of tins of crabmeat, and I made a milder spicy version (personal taste preference). It was really yummy. I used 4 cloves of garlic, 1 small red pepper instead of the green pepper, and instead of using tomato paste (which is the only thing which gives me heartburn) I used 1 teaspoons of dried, ground bush tomato (an Australian spice) which has a beautiful aroma and provides a rich tomato flavour. The delicious blend of flavours complemented the crabmeat superbly. I served it over angel hair pasta with salad greens. Everyone loved it. Thanks for sharing!