Recipe by Tish
Serve these vegetarian burrito's with sour cream, chopped green onions and salsa. For vegan burritos, omit the cheese and sour cream
Top Review by Kozmic Blues
I’m a vegetarian so I knew I would love these burritos. My family however, is not. Wasn’t sure how they would react to these, but they loved them! I think the sweetness of the potatoes mixed with the smoky heat of the cumin and chili powder went together really well. I had to omit the cayenne, and use my milder chili powder to suit the crowd I was cooking this for. When I make these just for me, I will add the full heat back, amybe even a little more! Overall, I think this was a great vegetarian alternative to one of my favorite Mexican foods.
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 12 10-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- sour cream, optional
- green onion, optional
- salsa, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic in until soft.
- Stir in beans, and mash.
- Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
- Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas.
- Top with cheese.
- Fold up tortillas burrito style.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.