Top Review by SousChef2
Wonderful on pheasant, too! Will be making more for Christmas gifts. I did remove most of the skins that floated to the top of the boiling mixture. They tasted candied and wonderful, but didn't want them in the marinade/sauce.
- 4 lbs cherry tomatoes (Firm)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 fresh gingerroot, Grated
- 2 lemons (Use only the juice and grated zest of the 2 lemons.)
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the tomatoes and prick each one in several places with the tines of a fork.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes and to the syrup add the ginger root, lemon juice and rind, and salt.
- Simmer the syrup for 15 minutes, return the tomatoes to the syrup and cook about 30 minutes longer, or till the syrup is thick and the tomatoes are transparent.
- Turn into hot jars and seal.