Recipe by JanetB-KY
This is a recipe I found in a Taste of Thai Cookbooklet I got in the mail from the Taste of Thai company...it is a good twist on regular southern corn cakes and I love them. Don't let the long ingredient list turn you away. This is quickly put together and inexpensive, and the dipping sauce is of course optional.
Top Review by chef FIFI
Nice change of things. Super easy and quick to make.I liked this, it was sweet and spicy at the same time. I used a can or niblets. I subbed red chilli paste instead of red chili peppers. I omitted the brown sugar, used dried cilantro and didnt have any fish sauce, so I added some maggi chicken bouilon. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 cups fresh corn or 2 cups frozen corn (if using frozen corn, make sure to drain it well to avoid soggy cakes)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons minced red chili peppers
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 scallions or 1 green onion, minced (I use 2 'cause I like green onions)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (you can use parsley if you can't find fresh cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (simply seasoning sauce or Nam Pla)
- oil (for cooking, as needed)
SPICY MALT SEASONING SAUCE FOR DIPPING
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (seasoning sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, flour, and baking powder; mix with mixer on medium speed until flour begins to bind with the corn.
- Add the minced red peppers, sugar, scallion, cilantro, seasoning sauce and egg.
- Continue mixing until mixture becomes thick and spreadable (you want mixture to spread slightly when it is dropped in the oil).
- In a nonstick skillet, heat about one tablespoon of oil.
- Drop large spoonfuls of batter into skillet and let spread; brown cake on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Continue doing this until batter is gone, adding oil as needed.
- Serve with Spicy Malt Seasoning Sauce.
- SPICY MALT SEASONING SAUCE FOR DIPPING:.
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients; mix well.