Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I love this recipe because of the ease of one pot cooking. I use my 5 quart Rival Slow Cooker for this recipe.
- 1 large carrot, cut in half and in bite size chunks
- 1 green pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml quick-cooking tapioca
- 5 chicken breasts, bone
- 226.79 g canned pineapple tidbits
- 78.07 ml dark brown sugar, packed firm
- 78.07 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml instant chicken bouillon granule
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 29.58 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 4.92 ml dried cilantro or 10 cilantro leaves
- 1419.54 ml hot cooked rice
- Put vegetables in bottom of crock pot. Sprinkle the quick cooking tapioca over the vegetables.
- Place chicken on top.
- Combine all other ingredients except cooked rice into a small mixing bowl; blend well. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Before serving, make rice. Serve Sweet and Sour Chicken over cooked rice.
- Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave.
This was superb! The chicken had a nice texture on the outside and was super tender on the inside, while the sauce was great over the rice. The only change I made was to use around 50% more vegetables.
What leftovers? My family scarfed this recipe up! This recipe is super easy. A word of caution to those who want to double the recipe -- make sure you have a HUGE slow-cooker. Mine is medium-sized and was not big enough for more than the one recipe.