Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Southern Living; my grandfather (Pop-Pop) loved this. Miss you.
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- hot cooked rice
- Mix together first 6 ingredients.
- Add chicken; coat well.
- Heat oil in electric skillet to 375 degrees.
- Fry chicken until lightly browned.
- Removed chicken; drain.
- Drain pineapple, reserving liquid.
- Add enough water to juice to make 1 cup.
- Add 2 T. cornstarch, mixing well.
- Combine pineapple juice mixture and next 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir green pepper and chicken into sauce; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve over rice.
LOVED IT !!!! Little too much ketchup,but GREAT dinner!!
A classic! Just the way we like it, too. I did reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup, otherwise just like our local Chinese used to make it.
OSO good! So easy for the result. I used white wine instead of the sherry, just preference. Thanks!