Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A light rye bread, great toasted.
Make and share this Swedish Limpa Bread (ABM) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄8 cups beer, room temperature (a pale ale works nicely)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in your bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Use regular (or medium) crust setting.
- Alternately, use the machine through the first rise and remove dough from machine. Place on a floured surface and shape to fit a loaf pan, or into a round or oblong for free-form loaf. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Bake in 375F oven for 40-45 minutes.
I finally found a limpa rye that works for me! All others have been dried bricks. Keep a little beer from the can handy, as you might need to add a couple tablespoons more like I did. I also gave the seeds a little grind in the mortar to release their flavor and I will be adding a teaspoon more of each because I like lots of seasoning. Thank you Mikekey!
Made as written for the Goddesses of ZWT-9 & we really liked this bread. It was slathered w/butter & tasted warm from the ABM. It is a very dense bread & I am sure will make excellent toast in the morning. There were tense moments early on as my ABM groaned, jerked a bit & finally stopped -- BUT after the addition of 2 extra tbsp of the rm temp beer, all went well. Our condo smelled like a bakery & I'm sure our neighbors were jealous. Thx for sharing your recipe for this delicious bread.